This is from the Merriam-Webster web site:
- Main Entry:mar·riage
- Pronunciation:\ˈmer-ij, ˈma-rij\
- Function:noun
- Etymology:Middle English mariage, from Anglo-French, from marier to marry
- Date:14th century
1 a (1): the state of being united to a person of the opposite sex as husband or wife in a consensual and contractual relationship recognized by law (2): the state of being united to a person of the same sex in a relationship like that of a traditional marriage marriage> b: the mutual relation of married persons : wedlock c: the institution whereby individuals are joined in a marriage2: an act of marrying or the rite by which the married status is effected; especially : the wedding ceremony and attendant festivities or formalities3: an intimate or close union marriage of painting and poetry — J. T. Shawcross>
So according to this definition marriage is between two sexes. I guess then that precludes the idea of a gay marriage. I remember the first time I saw a marriage announcement in the newspaper that showed two women. It weirded me out, I will admit it.
Then, being a Christian, I know that it is said in the Book that being Gay is an abomination. I know people that will judge, shun and hurt people based upon their orientation. I understand where these people are coming from, but I cannot help but think that God doesn't want us to hurt each other. I know he told us not to judge anyone.
So I guess the easiest way to say it is that all humans are children of God. Gays, Democrats, Republicans, Nazis, straights, Muslims, Hindus, etc. As children of God, even if they don't see it or want to be, means that it is not our job to judge them as humans. Don't you think it is hard enough to be a human being in this world without suffering from the hate of others.
I may be a Christian and have just gotten finished talking about not judging others, but I have judged Mahmoud Ahmadinejad as an idiot. Contrary to the President of Iran being gay is not a crime, and it sure does not call for a death penalty.
Some of you might say, but what about people that abuse children of the same sex? That is not what I'm talking about. Anyone that abuses a child should burn in a special level of Hell. In fact, I am against Capital Punishment, with the possible exception being for those that pray on children. Then again putting them in general prison population will give them a taste of their own medicine, and without possibility of parole. But, back to the subject at hand.
To me then if two people want a document and a ceremony to bind their relationship together then I'm all for it. I don't see how this hurts anyone or makes the institution of marriage any weaker than it already is. All the straight divorces we have now are doing a good job of weakening the institution.
I'm okay if the majority of the people want to call gay marriage something else. As long as the result is the same, what does it matter what it is called?
for more information see this Wiki entry.
No comments:
Post a Comment