Saturday, November 24, 2007

Disposable

Where is the fundamental difference between Capital Punishment and Abortion?

One is done to convicted murderers and the other against innocent babies? Well, yes. One is sanctioned by the state and the other allowed by the state. Well, yes.

Okay, what about similarities? Both are done with chemicals (at least in the US). Both are untimely. Both affect those directly involved in a bad way. They both say that life is disposable in our society.

There have been volumes written on each subject separately and together. The end result is that do we really want to add to the 'landfills' of our lives? Do we really need to kids learning that if you don't want something to throw it away? Do we want them to learn that if something is inconvenient to kill it? Do we want to cheapen life anymore than it already is?

Think about it for a second - you are finished with that chicken sandwich, toss it in the garbage. Throw away that old dress or shirt you are tired of. How about that couch you got when you moved into your first apartment? Then there is that baby that is going to be a real pain in your social life and cramp you going to college.

To me and lot's of people the fact that someone has murdered their fellow man/woman is enough for them to forfeit their life. I have believed this for a long time as well, but I have never been able to reconcile someone's ability to kill a baby within themselves. So I sat down and went over the message we are sending to our society - that life is disposable, period.

I cannot tell my kids this and I am loath to even tell them what capital punishment or abortion is.

The answer to this problem is - to outlaw abortion and capital punishment, but with other alternatives. For abortion this is adoption, pure and simple. This includes cases of incest and rape. The alternative to capital punishment is a deep, dark hole. I'm sure I'll write a post about our penal system, but for now the Death Row needs to be a place without creature comforts and be somewhere without possibility of escape.

I know this won't be easy to implement, but what else can we do?

No comments: